Monday, January 26, 2009

When the unexpected happens, what do you do?

Life is a learning experience and sometimes it can be funny. That's if you allow yourself to laugh when you really would like to cry. There are times when everything seems to be going well. And then you're hit with a huge disappointment, dramatic episode or a shocking reality. What do you do?

Well, let me tell you a story that may put things in perspective. I'm traveling for work and everything seems to be going great. Even the small disappointments turn for the best. I arrive at the airport to find out that I have a middle seat. Now I'm not the 'middle' seat type of gal. I need my space and I just don't do the middle seats especially on a four hour flight. I immediately ask if I could change my seat and of course the flight is FULL. Even worse...a middle seat on a full flight. As I stand there waiting for Zone 3 to be called, I ask the gentlemen behind me if he's in Zone 2? He says, "Yes, but I'm not in a hurry. I can wait." He starts to tell me how he has a window seat and he hates the window seat. That's right he hates the window seat which is my FAVORITE seat. And I mentioned how I have a middle seat which I would much rather have a window seat. He then offers to trade with me. Not that he likes the middle, but he would prefer the middle over the window. So I'm thinking...this couldn't be happening.

So the gentleman gladly traded his seat with me. I was fortunate to sit with people who wanted to sleep just like me. I had the best sleep on a plane in a long time. Our flight arrived at its destination 45 minutes early. Things couldn't be better. I arrive at the baggage claim and the bags are already coming down the belt! UNBELIEVABLE! So I spot my luggage from a distance and figure I would rush over to grab it before it takes a trip around the large carousel. Now everyone who knows me, knows that I didn't make a mad dash (I'm not the running type either). But I did make a light dash around the carousel. As I turned the corner, I tripped over another passengers duffle bag that was short to the ground but long...so I didn't see it until I was picking my face up from the ground.

Isn't that like life...the moment you think everything is going well. BAM! You get hit in the face with an issue, a family problem, a medical condition, or something that just takes your breath away. So what do you do? You could allow that moment to haunt for the rest of the day, week, year or for decades. But I challenge you to get up, dust yourself off, and ask yourself...what can I learn from this experience? Sure you may need to get up slowly and re-gain your stability. You may find yourself moving slower. But the main thing is that you move! Don't stay in the place of despair too long, you may begin to like it there. You know the victim role sometimes gets comfortable. But you are not a victim, you are victorious over the things and people who love to pull you down to the ground.

So I'm a little bruised and banged up, but what is the lesson for me? Not that I should wait for the bad things to happen or not expect too much good stuff to happen. But I was rushing to get that luggage for no good reason. Sometimes we need to take things in stride and not rush the good things in life. Enjoy them as much and as long as we can. Take in the surrounding and don't take things for granted.

Later I asked myself how long will I feel the pain. I thought I had learned my lesson. But often the pain remains to remind us of the lesson we learned, to make sure we don't dismiss the lesson as soon as it is revealed to us. And once the pain is gone, scars may remain to remind us of the event and allow us to share our lessons of life with others.

So don't be so quick to grab what God plans to give you anyway. Don't allow the downs in life overshadow the ups. Finally, remember life's lessons and share them with others.

Wounded, but still enjoying a Wonderful Life, Absolutely Wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. Nancy this is SO GOOD! I love you you can take things that happen in your day to day life and learn life lessons from them. Perhaps that is why you are so wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i am a follower now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heelarious and inspirational. I always say that I try may best to learn my lesssons the first time, so that I won't have to keep going around that mountain. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete