Monday, June 15, 2009

An Empty Nest For Real!

Over the last few decades, I've heard people talk about the concept of an 'empty nest'. An empty nest is the season of your life when your children have left home and you no longer have the little birdies in the nest. Now it's not as dramatic as the mother bird nudging the baby birds out the nest and watching them struggle to fly...wait, it's exactly like that. It just happens about eighteen years after birth instead of eighteen days. But the eighteen years do seem like eighteen days. Anyway, this is suppose to be a cheerful entry so let's move on to the uplifting part of the empty nest.

Well, Tommy and I have been prepairing for the last ten years. But we are still shocked tha the time is here.

We are planning trips and more trips, outlining projects we will start or finish (I'm sure some of you know how that is), more date nights, and we might have a few extra bucks in our pocket. Now don't get me wrong, I know that their new found independence isn't instant seperation from our pocketbook. But now we can just let the phone ring (just kidding!). We are committed to helping our children anyway possble and encourage them to put God first and work hard so God will honor the desires of their hearts.



I'm proud of all of them. God has blessed them and He continues to bless Tommy and I everyday when we see how He's working in their lives.

So hit me up and answer this question:

If you have small children, what do you plan to do when the babies leave the nest?

or

If you have an empty nest now, what did you do after the kids left that you couldn't do before the kids left?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nancy,

    The kids were still pretty young when we first joined our families! The fact that little TJ has graduated from high school just blows my mind. It was 9 years ago that the girls helped with my wedding!! Can you believe that!

    When I see your kids, I am so proud of not only them but of you and Tommy as well. You both have done such a wonderful job and are awesome role models, not just as parents but as a couple. Life is not easy but you guys sure make it seem that way!

    To answer you question....I'm just getting started with a 4 and 2 year old so I have a way to go. I'm not at the planning for the empty nest but we do look forward to our children getting older and being able to do more things with them (and without them!). Traveling, doing more activities during the trip and while expanding their horizons. We so want them to know that they can be anything they want and provide all the best opportunities we can for them.

    Life in the long run is short and we want them to live a full, happy and God filled life!

    Thanks for your example and the support that you all give to everyone around you! You and Tommy are truly one of a kind!

    Love you
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete